Netizens criticized Weverse for allegedly failing to protect idols using their platform amidst the controversy fromis_9 Chaeyoungtearful live stream.
Previously, we reported that fromis_9’s Chaeyoung cried during her recent live broadcast.
On January 17, Chaeyoung held a livestream on streaming platform Weverse, where a netizen started making disgusting comments towards the idol and her fellow members. Baek Jihoon. According to news reports, netizens hurled verbal attacks of a sexual nature and even cursed their parents.
Despite trying her best to ignore the comment, Chaeyoung finally broke down in tears and ended the live broadcast.
According to news reports, Weverse currently does not have a system in place to prevent netizens from writing malicious comments. According to reports, comments need to be manually tagged after they are posted in order to be deleted.
This news quickly went viral, with netizens demanding that the platform do more to protect artists using their platform.
🚨 Important Short Threads 🚨
for kpop fans especially those who support idols who use Weverse
— fromLover_ (@fromLover_9) January 17, 2023
— 용각산🍀🐼 (@syeoniee_124) January 16, 2023
Netizens have been very vocal about it #너희도_공범이다_위버스which translates to #Weverse_you_are_an_accomplice trending in Korea.
This is an interpretation for fluvers who are not very good at Korean.
— 온리 (@azure025) January 16, 2023
it’s ridiculous that a place that should be a positive community for the artist and their fans doesn’t take action against those who come and harass, belittle, and threaten the artist. PROTECT YOUR HYBE ARTISTS.#너희도_공범이다_위버스#하이브_방관은_그만 pic.twitter.com/2Xgz6GtmxQ
— emma 🍀 (@flovercarat) January 16, 2023
Netizens in the online community also expressed concern and criticized the platform for its lack of countermeasures.
- “I was very surprised. I heard (fromis_9) often receives this comment.”
- “Even Twitch has a way of banning users. Does (Weverse) not have it?”
- “If you become a fan of an idol that has a lot of crazy fans… seriously, I feel like I’m going crazy, so I stopped being their fan, but the crazy fans were there until the end.”
- “Users have been asking for years, but (Weverse) hasn’t improved at all. On the contrary, the comment rate is getting stronger. F@ck.”
- “This matter is very close to home. My idol is also on Weverse, so please do something fast.”
- “Please, Weverse, do something.”
- “Ban those who write malicious comments in real-time. I’m sure there is a manager next to the idols when they live stream. Wouldn’t giving them the power to ban commenters fix that?”
Weverse is a popular live streaming platform used by many idols to communicate with fans. This platform is a subsidiary of HYBE. Weverse has yet to comment on the matter.
Share This Post