Read Time:2 Minutes, 6 Seconds
GOT the BeatThe seven-member project girl group from SM Entertainment, which consists of members from four generations of SM girl groups, will be making a comeback in January with a new EP.
SM idol Boa; Taeyeon and Hyoyeon from Girls’ Generation; Seulgi and Wendy from Red velvet; and Karina and Winter from aespa is a seven member “supergroup” that debuted with the single “Step Back” in January 2022. Recently, SM Entertainment announced that the group’s first EP, stamp On It, will be released on January 16, 2023.
GOT beat to make a comeback on January 16th with their 1st mini album ‘Stamp On It’ and a pre-release stage at ‘SMTOWN LIVE 2023’ on 1/1!
– Girls On Top (@GirlsOnTop_SM) December 29, 2022
But fan reaction to this announcement was not entirely positive on internet forums. Although “Step Back” performed well on both domestic and international charts, netizens expressed their confusion at the label deciding to push the project group through aespa, one of the strongest fourth-generation girl groups.
- “aespa have to strengthen their position now, what do they do?”
- “But aespa is a rookie. What do you think instead of growing a novice?
- “They all have their respective groups, why the fuss? SM has a lot of time? Too bad.”
- “Shouldn’t aespa be preparing for their Japanese debut single all this time? Are they going to tour Japan with a Korean album next year?”
- “Isn’t aespa going to release an album?”
aespa made their final comeback in July with their second mini album, Girls. Group member Ningning later revealed that they were supposed to make another comeback before the end of 2022, but that plan fell through for undisclosed reasons. Given that the label has yet to announce any new activities for the group and is instead planning a comeback for GOT The Beat has left fans confused and dissatisfied.
On the other hand, there were people who said they were looking forward to the album but hoped that this time the lyrics would be better. Although “Step Back” was well received for its fun beat, its lyrics were heavily criticized for being direct catfight-y.
- “This time it’s the lyrics, please ㅜㅜㅜㅜ Don’t bring so many groups to do ‘silly girls’ ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ”
- “Just make sure the lyrics are okay. Just that.”
- “Just do something about the lyrics.”
- “Better lyrics this time please ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ”
Check out The Beat’s GOT debut MV for “Step Back” below:
Share This Post